Wednesday 23 April 2014

Upside Down Caramel and Banana Cake.

This is actually a really good banana bread recipe- I'm just calling it a cake due to my lack of a loaf tin!


I thought it was about time that I finally take on my Pinterest 'food I'd like to try' board and after searching through, agonising over which amazing dish to try, I decided to go with a cake that had fruit in it (hey, that way it's healthy right? right?!) This cake proved a bit tricky to make, mostly because I had to work out the measurements from 'cups' which I hate using. I have kindly put the ingredients list into ounces so that its a bit easier for us Brits!






  • 3 Oz soft brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 2 bananas- sliced
  • 3 Oz self raising flour
  • 3 Oz caster sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 2 eggs - beaten
  • 3 Oz vegetable oil
  • 2 Oz buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract


For Caramel sauce:

  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp double cream






  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees/ gas mark 4.
  • Grease a baking tin and pat all of the brown sugar into the bottom so that it is packed tightly.
  • Dot the butter on top of the sugar and place in the oven until the butter has melted into the sugar.
  • Stir the sugar at the bottom and then pat it back into place. Layer the banana slices on top.
  • Mix all of the dry ingredients together, then mix all of the wet ingredients together and whisk the two together until smooth.
  • Pour the mixture over the base of the cake and place in the oven for around an hour (until a knife comes out clean).
  • Leave the cake to cool for around half an hour and then flip the tin and get the cake out.
  • Serve with caramel sauce if wanted (just add all of the ingredients together in a pan and heat to desired consistency!)  



I also threw a handful of chocolate chips into the mixture but that's optional (as are walnuts which seems to be a popular ingredient). The recipe looks fairly simple here- when I attempted making this cake, I forgot to add the caster sugar, queue rapidly throwing it into the mixture while it was in the cake tin (something I wouldn't recommend). Even though this recipe was fairly tricky, after tasking it I would definitely make it again! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go oooooon tell me what you think :)